Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Please Vote!

I went and voted today. On the way I was listening to talk radio and the host mentioned how amazing it is that we, in a orderly manner, change our leaders every four years. No matter who you are voting for, it is awesome to stand in that line with fellow Americans and feel that you are apart of this great country. I don't know if the vote is going to go the way I want it to this year (still hoping) I am glad to be a part of this process.
My kids were involved in their school election yesterday. When they came home and told me about it I was glad that they got the chance to experience democracy. It wasn't such a good feeling to learn that they both voted for Obama. I realized that I probably should have discussed the election and the candidates with them, foolish me. When I asked them why they chose Obama, their answers were identical. He will be the first Black president. I am excited that our country has come so far that it is possible for us to have a Black or Woman president, but the fact that this is the reason for their vote disturbed me. I hope that this is not the criteria that voters will use when choosing a leader of their country. I am excited to see how the election unfolds, I think it will be a long night. I am very excited to see if Prop 8 passes. Thank you to all who have donated your time, money and sanity for this great cause!

No comments: